26 March 2011

This is my story: Time For A Master Graduation

Such a simple dream but such a hard thing to do.

Why? I’m 26, a mom of a 5-year-old boy, and the only one in my family who doesn’t have a master degree. My son was born when I was still in college, pursuing a bachelor degree at the time. Well, I did graduate with two bachelor degrees. It gave me the confidence to try a semester on a graduate program. Three months into it, I realized that toddler and thesis don’t go well together. Especially when you’re studying in a foreign country… alone. So, I gave in and went home.

But that’s old story. I’m proud of what I am. Thanks to the never ending support of my family and thanks to EF (www.englishfirst.co.id). I learnt English at EF since elementary school. I technically “graduated” from EF (I finished off all their regular levels), joined conversation class and took TOEFL class before flying off to Uncle Sam’s home pursuing a higher education.

However deep inside, I still want that higher degree (and a cooler graduation outfit). In 2030, I’ll be walking the path one more time, graduating with a master in Cultural Anthropology. By that time, my son will be finishing up his Doctorate if he stays in school. But, hey, it’s never too late to pursue your dreams, right?

Why the judges have to pick my story?

Well, because I think it’s never too late to learn something (or earning a degree). While joining EF Conversation class back in high school, I met an elderly lady who learnt English just to talk to her English-speaking, half-American grandson. That’s the spirit I want to share and I’m sure many will agree with me.




The story is also published on my FB: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150125984897690


1 comment:

Terima kasih sudah mampir, jangan lupa tinggalkan komen. Mohon maaf untuk yang meninggalkan link hidup dan komen bersifat spam atau iklan akan dihapus.